The ghost of Christmas Future the end of the American Dream?

During the Christmas season the average American spends $700 . Yet the same person will have a thousand dollars or less in there savings. Does this make any sense? You say you cant afford to save but you got on an spend you savings on stuff.

Are we now seeing the end of the ” The American Dream  was a termed coined during the 1950s. The idea was you need a big house  to put all your stuff in.  During this time things like credit cards became popular . As wage began to flatten or even decline to keep the dream going there life styles was maintain through credit.

Over the last few decades as Americans were still dreaming. There good paying jobs were being sent overseas.  The dream was maintained there lowering interest rates over the last 35 years. This benefited the consumer but not but hurts the savers or retiree.  Low rates means you getting less and less on your savings.

So what do people think they will do when it comes to retirement ?Are you just going to not think about it and go shopping?

17 thoughts on “The ghost of Christmas Future the end of the American Dream?

• December 25, 2016 at 21:31

If the average person spends $700 on Christmas it does not make sense. I know I spent a decent amount of money, but I did not tally it all up. I do know that Christmas is a consumer holiday that many get swayed into by social pressure or psychological force to keep loved ones happy. (Me, I do it to keep love ones happy. I can’t force other to follow my train of thought.
    The United States says that it can not afford stuff for it’s citizens, but spend billions on war and millions on other countries.
    Here is what I found about the term American Dream. I think the detentions below are better stated than yours.
    It’s honestly hard to say what the situation will be when you get older. You can’t really plan for the system that we live in today. With any hopes things get better and people can afford to spend money on others at different times of the year without social pressure and save money for when they are old.

• December 25, 2016 at 22:35

People who are savers are punished through inflation and low interest rates . This feeds into the American Dream ideal of having more stuff makes your better so more stuff means you need a bigger house for that stuff. So people go into more debt . That is what the American Dream is now debt on top of more debt. Fueled by the federal reserves policies and our fiat money system . Yes you can plan for the system we live in today but not being part of the debt or some call debtism economy. When I use the term stuff I mean things people want rather then need.

• December 26, 2016 at 14:35

Are you sure the average person is spending $700 on Christmas? The people that I know are living pay check to pay check. I would like to know where you got that number and what data they used to give you that number.

• December 26, 2016 at 22:15

Don’t the people who save hurt the private sector? It seems like people are going to be hurt either way. I think the government needs to print more of that money that has no backing and give it to the America people. I know you are going to say that they are going to use it to pay off debt, but they do not have to. They could easily use it as a start up for a small business. The same money that we use on pointless wars can be used on the people. The same money that is used to aid other countries could be used to update the parts of American that need to be updated. That money could be used to educate and put people to work. After they work for the state they would have skills to work in the private sector. The United States makes it own money and choices where that money is spent. The United States does not want it people to grow and prosper. The American Dream is a tall tale!

• December 27, 2016 at 13:28

Since our generation is in so much debt from student loans and mortgage debt . They don’t have any savings or capital for a down payment on a small business loan. People would rather borrow money from the future to have stuff for now .A lot of people see starting a Business as risky so they would rather take the low risk path of working for some big corp. This is another problem for small biz is that cant compete with the big corps. Because the government favors them over the small business. A small business owner pays a lot less in taxes this is why the government wants employees not business owners.

• December 29, 2016 at 12:42

I could not agree with that I have quoted you saying below more. People are very scared to start their own business. I think people don’t take enough time to educate themselves on their options. I also think people become comfortable with working for these places. They see it as secure. I am going to be started my business next year. I may even have to work for someone else for the first year, but you have to be in business to make a good business.

“A lot of people see starting a Business as risky so they would rather take the low risk path of working for some big corp. This is another problem for small biz is that cant compete with the big corps. Because the government favors them over the small business. A small business owner pays a lot less in taxes this is why the government wants employees not business owners.”

• December 29, 2016 at 18:17

most small business fail I think the failure rate is like 80 to 85 percent this is way people stick with the safe secure job. People aren’t willing to risk an investment knowing it will likely fail . The large amount of capital is also a problem . I saw something where they said it cost 60k to start a small business

• December 27, 2016 at 11:17

Thank you for the reference. I thought the data was for Christmas presents. The number seems more realistic, however I still don’t know anyone who is spending that much money (To be far: How would I know). I did notice that the chart did not include all the extra food that is brought for Christmas. I am going to try to see if I can find data on how much someone spends on Christmas dinner.

• December 27, 2016 at 13:05

If you think about it the average new electronic device is easily $300 examples would an xbox/playstation, or new computer, the newst smart home is maybe twice that much. Also the chart shows most of the money is going into gifts not food.

• December 29, 2016 at 12:44

This new stuff is expensive and they have it break right when the new one come out. I saw a short video on the internet about more “fix it” shops starting to open, because most people no the products are made not to last.

• December 29, 2016 at 18:29

Thins don’t need to break with so many ads for the newest toy. People go out in buy it shopping is like a drug that new thing feeling is like a drug. As real relationships are in decline they feel the void with stuff they don’t need.

• December 31, 2016 at 12:11

Relationships aren’t the same anymore. This is true for all relationships. Most things seem so material now in days. There isn’t too much that is help close to the heart. People care more about what happening on tv and social media then how they can improve their lives to live out happiness. I always say that you can’t live by someone else’s definition of happiness because you will never be happy.

• January 1, 2017 at 12:47

Whenever each new year starts we often hear about someone plans to lose weight or get in better shape. But when do you hear people talking about there problems with buying stuff that don’t need because it they think it will make them feel better. Consumerism is a mental health problem. Its in a lot of way no different that any other addiction.

• January 1, 2017 at 13:25

I agree our need for more products is a mental problem. A lot of this stuff we do not need to survive. I am not saying that I am better than anyone else. I do like “want” items, but I do not buy a lot of stuff. I asked my girlfriend the other week what I could cut down on buying. She said that there is nothing to cut down on because I do not buy anything. I buy new clothes every once in a while, but I do not get rid of old ones. If I do I make sure they go to a place that they can be reused. The only other material things that I buy are electronics and things that go with it. Those are for my business. I do understand that some of the material that are used to make them are gotten in horrible ways, so I buy as little as possible and I keep everything that isn’t broken to give away or use for parts. Even my material items are must have. What do you do to buy less?

• January 1, 2017 at 18:52

Well in the precious metal community when learn to price things in ounces not dollars. A new computer would be about 20 ounces , a smart phone about 40. If you think your money has value you tend to spend less. They say when people use cash then spend less because they only spend what cash that have on hand. When people use credit cards they don’t realize how much they are really spending. I think this reason is why government are trying to phase out cash.

• January 2, 2017 at 18:24

You are right about that. I try to use cash because I spend less. When I am using a card I can end up spending more. I do that with take out food. When I have cash in my wallet I pack more because I always think about the cash running out. If I am using a card I tend to swipe away day after the day buying food that is over priced compared to the grocery store cost.