Raise of the robots : The road to ” basic income”

When the phase outsourcing comes to mind. We often think of  sending jobs overseas to china. Because of the cheap labor. But how do you reduce labor even more ? Through automation is how you do it .

Since 1970 the productivity has increase by 150{ad240bdc933e8291c170e386d0b01f82788bc4a8ea0d319192e75b222859f323} while wages have increase by 13{ad240bdc933e8291c170e386d0b01f82788bc4a8ea0d319192e75b222859f323}. Since 1970 began importing cheap middle east oil as well in outsource our labor for cheap Chinese labor.  Then advances in computers began in the 1980’s.

currently computer processing power doubles every 18 months.  How can workers compete with that. By the time there finished there 4 year college degree they have already fallen behind advances in tech.

A few year ago there was the ” Fight for 15 campaign ” . This lead to increase in min wage increases but not 15 by the way. The result was companies investing in automation.  Example would be the ” Big Mac ATM” which is basically a self checkout for fast food.

Another way automation and or tech is taking jobs is through online shopping. Sites like Amazon are now competing with Walmart .

Politician are always talking about creating jobs and or bringing jobs back. What if that doesn’t happened? This is where the idea of ” Basic income ” comes in.

” Basic income” would be money giving to those who are unemployed from the government. This has been tried in some countries most recently the program has been started in India. The question is where doe this ” free ” money come from?

We already have people calling for ” free” healthcare and college. Could we soon see people in America calling or basic income ?

9 thoughts on “Raise of the robots : The road to ” basic income”

• February 9, 2017 at 15:52

****This reply was written on the fly.. I will return to edit 15:51 2-9-17 *****

Computers are becoming a much bigger part of this world. Hardware and software is changing the world at rapid pace. Without a doubt people are losing the jobs to these systems, but there are also job that are opening because of this. While jobs are lost I think it important that we changed with the times. Why do people have to work so hard. If the human race is smart enough to create systems that mean they do not have to work as hard I am down for it. I realize that these system could be used with the impact that you are perceiving however. It can be used to take away job and leave people starving, but I think we have to look at the rest of our society to fix that problem. Every dollar a person spends is an investment. I personally will do my best to not invest my money into a bad company.
    Those machines that are used to replace people are always going to need to be fixed and upgraded, so the best field to be in is the one who makes those new updates. As you know I am a developer. I look to take my skills past apps and websites because I see that the skills that I have can be used to changed the world and become a greater income.
    Outside of development jobs there are many skills that are still needed to help the world grow. We all no that the infrastructure in the United States needs work. If you look at how many people are going to school to take on these task that are so desperately needed then you will see a scary down fall if these new technology didn’t exist.
    I have to say that a lot of these jobs that are replacing people are at result of people not wanting to do the job under the employers terms. I believe the fight for 15 was a good cause, but I think the people also needed to divest from those companies, because like I said in the begin of this reply “every dollar you spend is an investment. I try my hardest not to shop anywhere that pays their employees poorly. (I don’t shop much either.)
    So the basic income program may be a good one when we figure out a way that the human race no longer has to do work to survive, but until then I think the common person really needs to look at where they invest there money. I can tell you as a person that watches where he invest it is not easy and there are times that you are going to have to buy things from companies that you wish to see gone, but it is important to try your hardest. I will never close a bad business by myself but a bunch of people like me can make an impact.

• February 9, 2017 at 18:11

Things like automation are largely done but the big corps for this reason raising the min wage hurts the same business owners the most because they cant afford to automate there business. Incase in wages is another type of inflation the wage inflation. As talked about in the article how inflation as a whole hurts the profitability . The main point of the article was how big corps are using outsourcing of different forms to of set the cost. The main point of the article was the idea of how since 1970 we have being out sourcing our cost of labor due inflation. When inflation get high it can lead to a recession. The most recent example would be when oil went up to $150 and inflation was twice what it is now. Inflation is the reason why the min wage has to be phased in over time. Both the left and the right seem to ignore this idea of how tech is taking jobs

• February 10, 2017 at 18:30

I agree that it something that a lot of big companies are using, but there are programs out there for the smaller businesses. There are businesses that don’t take advantage of simple things that the internet has to offer. There are things like auto answer email and website formats that help when people are not there to help. Owners and operator could even do simple things like have a Facebook page and post pictures and specials. Small businesses need to innovate as much as the bigger business. I understand that is hard to do, but these businesses need to invest their time and money to become better. I love small businesses, but many fail because they refuse to do what is best for business in these current times. Every small company should be thinking along the lines of getting bigger not just sustaining. Do you think smaller business could use more free sources to better themselves to improve profit.

• February 10, 2017 at 19:27

did you see the cnn debate with sanders and cruz they talk about the negative effects on small business Obamacare due rules about requiring to cover employees if have 50 or more

• February 10, 2017 at 14:38

I think the better option to the basic income program would be free school/ job training paired with a job guarantee program. There are jobs out there, but people don’t want to take them. Some outsourcing is good. The best thing that is left is to give the people who want to strive a clear and free path to do so.

• February 10, 2017 at 18:12

we already have a basic income in the form of disability . When unemployment benefits run out people are now going on disability. As far as ” job guarantee their needs to be a demand for the job in the first place.

• February 10, 2017 at 18:36

People are needed to work on the rail ways. People are needed to maintain the machinery that is taking the jobs. People are needed for all the new waves of business and business sectors through the internet. There are also people needed for basic coding and job alike. There are people needed to clean up the earth. People are needed to clean the waters. More teachers are needed. We need more people to take care of old people. There are people needed for so much the biggest problem is many of these things the private sector will not invest in because there is no profit. The public sector isn’t investing into them either because there is no tangible gain for the government. We will never invest in the right things when we consider profit as the greatest outcome.

• February 11, 2017 at 09:11

I agree with Desmond. There are task that need to be complete, but no one is trying to get them done within the government or civilian sector.

• February 11, 2017 at 11:17

the jobs that are being replaced by tech are low skill labor mostly in retail.