#CooperativeMovement Ending Poverty By “Owning The Change”

What is cooperative economics?

Creating sustainable revenue from a cooperative business model.

Cooperatives empower communities of people in controlling their economic security. Cooperatives are often formed by low wage workers to address their needs of steady income without labor trafficking abuse. For instance: in your community there is a group who sells dinners on the weekend to support a cause for the community. Every weekend this groups makes money and a difference in their community. The group decides they like how they pull their talents together to create wonderful meals for sale and would like to turn their cooking passion into a business without a boss. This group is on their way to becoming a worker owned cooperative, were all are on the same level when comes to making decisions about the business, salary and profit sharing. Yet recoginze that each talent may have different experience.
i’m learning about cooperative economies, as a an alternative method of producing income for people who may want to leave the street life and as a way to introduce business models to groups of people who work well together. You can learn more about cooperatives from Philadelphia Area Cooperative Alliance. I will post more blogs on the various types of cooperatives and resources that support cooperatives as i learn. Join the #CooperativeMovement

aliciadorsey2

Retired Cosmetologist reinventing myself as a professional digital media consultant. Studied Hospitality at Hillsborough Community College in Tampa Florida where I interned with "Celebrity Catering" and "Live Nation". That internship exposed me to professional catering and gave me great preparation and implementation skills. Mother of two young men, grandmother of two grandsons. I became a parent advocate first and learned that my community also needed advocating. Studying Digital Media and Black and White Photography at Community College of Philadelphia to produce professional documentation of the various issues and concerns in our society.

7 thoughts on “#CooperativeMovement Ending Poverty By “Owning The Change”

• January 13, 2017 at 14:15

Thank you for this information. I still have to watch the rest of the video, but I am grateful to hear about this. I am on the path to creating a company. This model is something that I will look into before incorporating. I know people that have the skills that are required, however it seems like people always want a bigger piece of the pie. It seems like the start up to an co-op could be very hard, but once it is rolling it can be great. I look forward to learning more about this before incorporate the idea that I have already started to process.

• January 13, 2017 at 14:23

this model puts everyone on the same level when making business decision, salary and profit sharing. plan to post a series on this topic with different models for better understanding.

• January 13, 2017 at 15:15

Are their models where there are different pay scales, but respects to the job. I don’t think it would be logical to pay someone who just answers the phone the same as the person who does the actual work.

• January 13, 2017 at 15:24

the worker answering the phone is part owner in the business who gives thier talent as part of the function of the business. when starting up the business and doing decision making the teleoperator is at the table for the ups and downs. corporations like comcast if was a cooperative would pay the legs of the company the same as the heads because we all have a role aka function to perform. like people of color can work in the fields because of the melanin in our skin where people with less melanin stay indoors and do those duties. not to take us bake/back in time because we are defintely not going back, just pointing the science

• January 13, 2017 at 17:02

This sounds like a great idea but I am not sure how it would work out. It can go either way.

• January 13, 2017 at 23:17

hi Susie,

all businesses could go either way the advantage of the cooperative business model is that in most cases the workers are the owners, get along well and there is no boss!! promotes collective thinking to function as a business community, often passing on skills to each other. this is also a movement to gain more control in our lives and communities. thanks for your comment!!

• February 9, 2017 at 12:48

I think its a good idea for people to get involved in communities such as co op farming . But I am against the collectives ideas in the federal government level. Its fine to have small community ideas . If we have more localized communities. We need have a economy based on needs not wants. Our global consumerism economy is based on wants not needs. But an economy based on needs would be a localized community economy