Bern Notice : Sanders , socialism and millennials

In this election millennials largely supported Bernie Sanders . The believed was going to bring real change .  Sanders plans my have gotten him votes but they were in many cases unrealistic plans.  They thought they were getting all this so called ” free” stuff example would college.   Even with his high tax plans the math didn’t add up .  Which would mean huge deficits . ” The problem with socialism is you run out of peoples money” .

In the end Sanders didn’t win the primaries . He was defeated by Clinton the ” Establishment “.  Bernie was running as the anti-establishment guy . When he lost he ended up supporting the same establishment he was claiming to fight against . Many of his supporters when from felling the Bern to feeling burned .

I often hear people say ” that’s socialism” when talking about it they bring up social security as an example of socialism. Yet , the majority of millennials don’t believe it will be there when there 65.  They seem to want something yet don’t have faith in it at the same time.

6 thoughts on “Bern Notice : Sanders , socialism and millennials

• November 19, 2016 at 11:34

I want to start this comment by saying that I don’t know the exact figures:
    There is money for free college and social security if we deduct from military spending. There is no need for a lot of the stuff that the pentagon spends money on. There is money going to private companies, while soldiers get deployed and twiddle their thumbs. However we are some military actions that we should be near. The United States government would also save money if they stopped arming and aiding other countries in a never ending conflict.
    There is also money to be saved on the domestic side. The United States needs to end the drug war. If the drug war is end more money could go into health care. There would be a less need for police, who is paid with tax money, and it would help lower court’s spending.
    I speak for myself when I say “I’m not asking for free stuff. I am asking to have the money taken out of my checks, by force, to be spent on stuff that is better for human longevity.”

• November 19, 2016 at 21:49

people keep repeating the lie of cuts to the military will fund SS . We owe almost as much to SS in future promises (14 trillion) as we do the national debt (20 trillion). I heard the drug war has cost around 1 trillion . But this is nothing compared to 14 trillion. People will get there SS checks but they will get much less then they paid into and or high inflation will be a result due to the money printing. The countries we arm and aide are countries that are not against the petro dollar system that allows for the welfare and warfare state.

• November 19, 2016 at 22:27

What I just read is ‘were screwed even if we trade the money given for military spending to these good causes.’ I don’t understand why the money can not just be traded. War may bring supplies such as oil and drugs, but it not putting money into the tax payer pocket. So, since we are at war for those things anyway (In less you believe we are at war to keep America safe.) Then what is the harm in investing in a smarter society. I think the human race would be better off smart and impoverished than dumb and impoverished.

• November 20, 2016 at 05:53

yes , maybe decreasing military spend might fund college . But the entitlements are far greater then a few trillion dollars. The media always like to say the bush wars are way we are in debt. When Bush increasing of the entitlements has caused far greater debt. Expanding of medicare for example added 7 trillion but this is not included in the national debt figures. …We need to do something about entitlements or we end up like Greece or Japan with a debt twice the size of there economy .

• November 20, 2016 at 11:55

I get what your saying, but my position stands. We are either screwed either way, so we should invest in people, or we could lower military spending and stop the drug war and recover the debt little by little.

• November 20, 2016 at 12:19

We can’t pay of the debt because that’s is how our currency is created. I would say that I would much rather spend infrastructure rather then something like college. Yes military spending should be addressed by entitlement reform needs to be addressed as well . It was in issue in the 2012 election.